Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his New York apartment on Sunday (February 2). According to police reports, Hoffman died from an apparent drug overdose. He was 46.
Reports said that the Oscar Award-winner was found by his friend David Bar Katz before Sunday noon inside the bathroom of his apartment in Greenwich Village with a hypodermic needle still in his arm.
According to New York Times, investigators also found at least two plastic envelopes with what appeared to be heroin near where his body was found in the bathroom, aside from the syringe in his left forearm. Five empty plastic envelopes were also found in a trash bin, a law-enforcement official said.
Early in his career, Philip Seymour Hoffman had struggled with substance abuse and went inside a rehabilitation center after graduation from the university. Many thought that he has already given up on drugs until last year when he checked into a rehab program after turning to heroin again.
Hoffman's family released a statement Sunday afternoon saying: "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."
Philip Seymour Hoffman has been active in Hollywood films for the last two decades and received several Oscars nominations. In 2006, he won an Oscar Best Actor award for his role in the film Capote. He was last seen on the big screen as Plutarch Heavensbee in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire.
Philip, who is survived by his partnerMimi O'Donnell, and three children, had been working on a new comedy-drama TV series Happyish at the time of his death.